Holiday Gift Guide: The MAD 20
Wed, 12/14/2011 - 4:00pm
In case you’re unfamiliar, the “MAD 20” is what we here at the offices call MAD Magazine’s annual “20 Dumbest People, Events and Things” of the year issue.
This year’s issue may not hit newsstands until Tuesday, but exclusive previews of various items that made the list have been popping up all over the Internet over the past few days in places like THE WALL STREET JOURNAL’s SPEAKEASY BLOG, POPMATTERS, MAXIM, AIN’T IT COOL NEWS, IGN, MTV GEEK, HOOPS HYPE, COMIC BOOK RESOURCES and NEWSARAMA.
We asked MAD’s Vice President and Executive Editor John Ficarra to tell us why he believes this year’s MAD 20 would be the perfect gift to receive this year. After a long, long, long wait, he finally thought of a list of five reasons:
1) Rolled up, it's long and cylindrical, making it literally a perfect stocking stuffer -- unlike, say, an anvil.
2) There’s nothing better than an issue of MAD if you need kindling to start a fire to roast your chestnuts.
3) Everyone knows it’s always better to give than to receive, especially if it’s your issue of MAD you’re unloading.
4) It sends a very clear holiday message: “Next year, don’t include me in your freakin’ ‘Secret Santa,’ okay?!?”
5) What finer way to celebrate the true meaning of the season than 56 pages of biting satire, insightful parody and fart jokes, fart jokes, fart jokes?!?!?
So this holiday season, don’t be an idiot like us and give the gift of the MAD 20. And while you’re at it, pick up a copy for yourself too. You look like you could use it.